Monday, February 11, 2008

ode to the fig newton



Fruit and cake = yumminess.

What is it about these delightful little morsels that pleases me so? Is it the soft melt-in-your-melt texture of the cake? Is it the sweet tang of fruit inside? Is it the adorable portable size? Is it the fact that I can (and have in the past) downed a dozen of these at one sitting without even breaking a sweat? Are figs fruit? How do they go from disgusting bland smelly produce to some thing so ultra cool and tasty as a Fig Newton? And do they classify as a snack, a dessert, or a breakfast cake? Technically, it's a grain and a fruit, right? So... in other words, it could pass as a jelly sandwich? Is anyone else disturbed by the image of the dancing fig on the cover of this package?

These are things that plague my mind this evening.

Did you know that a serving of Fig Newtons is ONE Newton? Who has ever sat down to eat one newton and stopped at that?? And each one is one Weight Watchers Point too. For this reason, I try my mightiest to not buy these tasty little suckers. Not good for a dieter.

I have one lone one left in my pantry calling my name. I think I will go answer it's call.

2 comments:

Christine said...

"It's not a cookie, it's fruit and cake". Figgy oh how I love thee, let me count the ways.......
And dang the punk who thought up the 1 cookie serving (shakes fist in anger as the under arm jiggles from past figgy binges).

AZ HS Spotlight said...

LOL! and LOL at Christine's comments above. I completely agree, I love Fig Newtons, but I would never eat a fig. Gross! On the dancing fig, that's what figs look like? I thought it was some sort of squash :)