Tuesday, November 2, 2010

book butterfly still flitting around. . .and gratitude day 1

Things really slowed down this month reading-wise due to my recent re-uptaking of scrapbooking, past seasons of "SYTYCD", discovering and trying audiobooks, and just life in general.  Also?  Not loving the books on my reading list at present.  Might need to switch things up a bit.  Here's what I read in October.

2120932

The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson & the Olympians #4) by Rick Riordan  didn't like itdidn't like itdidn't like it

I really liked the plot of this one, but I think because I was listening to this one on mp3, I got distracted often and wasn't clear on who was doing what, where, and why--audio books are still new to me. It was good though. . . I do think had I read it rather than listened to it, it might have earned a higher rating.

 

4502507

The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson & the Olympians #5) by Rick Riordan   didn't like itdidn't like itdidn't like it

Finally, I finished this after 10 days of reading. Well more like 1 day of reading and then 3 days scrapbooking followed by 1 day of reading and then a few more days of SYTYCD reruns. But finally tonight I finished it.
What a great series this is! It's not up there on the must-read best books of all time, but it's very imaginative and quick-paced with plenty of plot and lots and lots of characters. I do recommend this series for tweeners, even younger if they can handle the length.

 

179064

The Goose Girl (Books of Bayern #1) by Shannon Hale 

didn't like itdidn't like it

So this marks my official Giving Up of Shannon Hale's fantasy.  Princess Academy was pretty good, but Book of a Thousand Days was too similar, and this one is pretty much a regurgitation of the first two plus a little bit of Graceling and Poison Study thrown together.  Princessy type character, speaks a magic/foreign language, somehow gets identity switched with non-princessy person, chase ensues. 

I never really got into this, but kept plodding on because I hate to give up on books and these all came so highly recommended.  It's possible my problem stems from the fact that I listened to this on audio mp3 instead of reading it.  But honestly, I never really cared about the characters or figured out who was who enough to really route (root?  it's 12:22 in the morning as I write this review and somehow I have lost all talent for spelling) for anyone. 

And then...ugh...it ends on a cliff hanger.  I hate when books don't end.  I mean really, I hate it.

So, in summary, Dear Shannon Hale:  until you write another made for adult non-fantasy book, I'm done with you. Sincerely, me.

 

784911

Rise of the Evening Star (Fablehaven #2) by Brandon Mull  didn't like itdidn't like itdidn't like it

It took me some time to get into this, but I did and will continue on in the series. This second book has a lot going on, with a lot of characters and plot. It paves the way for several future books--not sure I'll read them all, but I'll definitely move onto #3.

 

 

49750

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green   didn't like it

OK well I got about 3 chapters into this, and it had a cute premise and was written well (teenage boy falls for teenage girl, gets dumped, trying to do whatever he can to get over her) but the language was pretty atrocious, so I decided to give it up before I got to invested in the story.

 

I'm half-way through two other books, but those will have to wait until November's wrap up.  :)

You get two-fers for a while in November when you visit my blog. Because for the next 25 days I'll be detailing our 25 days of Gratitude advent activity (our Thankful Jar).

Yesterday we pulled out the following activity:

 IMG_0085 IMG_0086

It was perfect because as Latter-day Saints, we do a weekly activity called Family Home Evening on Monday nights...and guess what, it was Monday!

IMG_0112

So I picked one of my favorite Book of Mormon stories--the one about Alma the Younger and Amulek meeting and being awesome missionaries together; how their faith was so strong even though the ancient city of Ammonihah did not want them preaching there, how they returned to the city even after being chased out because an Angel of the Lord told them to go back and counsel the wicked people to repent, how they were put in jail without food or water, but their faith and prayers were so strong, the earth shook and the prison walls fell down killing the wicked in the process but leaving Alma the Younger and Amulek unharmed. Then they continued to preach the gospel and had much success. What wonderful examples of missionaries they were!

(I actually forgot part of the activity was to memorize a scripture, but oh well, the kids enjoyed the lesson)

IMG_0116Then of course we had to have treats, so we had one of the kids' favorite desserts, Shakers milkshakes.  There is about 1/4 cup of ice cream already in the bottom--you add milk, and shake shake shake, senora!  we had a whole lotta shakin' going on! 

IMG_0118 IMG_0120IMG_0123 IMG_0121 IMG_0122 I know there was a lot in this post, but I still want to know:  what have you been reading, and how are you showing gratitude this season?

2 comments:

AZ HS Spotlight said...

Very cool! Well, I'm grateful for the ability to serve others and how good it makes me feel! I've been helping with Jessica's move. I've been reading a ton of paranormal YA novels because they are fun and that's what I like!

Liz said...

I love the FHE it's awesome Everyone should do this.
I love the kids memorize the scriptures What good boys and how cute are those shaker things never seen them.
I am grateful for Doctors at the present time.