Sunday, February 3, 2013

book butterfly reviews -- january

For the first time in. . . years I guess, I have nothing to study for!  Class is done, I've passed my boards, my BSN program (I start in two weeks) is all online papers and powerpoints--blech, but no tests, no studying.  I'm beside myself with glee!

Tomorrow I'm going shopping for interview-appropriate attire.  I'm so clueless.  I seriously need someone to dress me!

I am amazed that I was able to read three books for fun in January.  I also got about 100 pages into a fourth, but it didn't grab me enough before it was due back at the library. 

Every Soul A Star

"Every Soul a Star" by Wendy Mass

3 of 5 stars false

3.5 stars. This was a really cute puffball of a book (which is exactly what I need sometimes). Written in the perspective of 3 teenagers converging in Alaska for the viewing of an eclipse. They all start out the story as one person and end as another. It's sweet and has a cute little coming-of-age storyline; I recommend it for some light mindless reading.

 

Hidden (Firelight, #3)

"Hidden (Firelight #3)" by Sophie Jordan

3 of 5 stars false

I remember having this on my lap during a crown fitting when my dentist (and former Bishop) noticed it and said, "That looks like a Girl Book."  I nodded, explaining quickly that it was about dragons, and rationalized how I hardly ever read anything of any redeeming quality because books are escapism to me and when I'm stressed out from studying I have to do something that's not going to require me to think.  He said, "uh-huh," and proceeded to poke at my dying filling with his sharp instruments.  No, not really, he was really nice about it, but I felt kind of juvenile having it with me that day.  LOL  I wasn't able to finish the book that time around, ran out of time, turned it back into the library, got back on the waiting list, and received it again last month.  I finally finished.  :)

This third and final story in the Firelight saga ended Jacinda's dragon story nicely; a few twists and turns, some fighting, some bloodshed, some romance. It's a solid 3 star story, nothing I would ever read again, but I do recommend it for a nice light read.
The author left a few plotlines open so she could definitely continue on with other characters in the future. I really liked Cassian and would like to see how his story turns out.

 

The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance

"The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance:  a Memoir" by Elna Baker

3 of 5 stars false

Pros: This was a very well written, very entertaining, hilarious, tongue-in-cheek poke at Mormonism; a true story written by a Mormon comedienne in New York. Her writing style is awesome; I was sucked in from the first page. Really fun sense of humor. Really great story line.

Cons: Major potty mouth, this gal bends just about every rule before it breaks (chastity, language, decorum, Word of Wisdom), doesn't quite understand Mormonism to the hilt (yet that's partially what the book is about--her finding her own testimony and deciding if she wants to be a Mormon or not), very crude and crass book. PG-13

Having said that, I did like it.  It really is laugh out loud funny...but if PG-13 movies are not for you, then neither is this book, which is disappointing because I'd like to recommend it. I just know her lassez faire discussion of the temple and garments (without being sacreligious, she's just very matter-of-fact about it all) would offend some of my LDS book-lovin' friends.

I hope Elna finds what she is looking for someday, and that in so doing, she finds herself.

 

So, 3 solid 3s in the bunch, no real winners, no real losers (unless you count the book I wasn't able to get into and through--it's a #3 in a series and I hate giving up before the resolution hits, so I'll plug on when I get it back from the library), and hopefully some time in my future for more.

What are you reading?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just finished the last book, book 14, in the Wheel of Time series. Freaking awesome!! Loved that series, definitely in my top 3 series of all time.

B

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Are you on Goodreads? I just started this year and am loving being able to keep track of books I've read and want to read. I would love to follow you if you are on it.

leaner said...

I just finished book 3 of 4 (the Hush Hush series). Meh. It is OK.
I also read Uglies, Pretties, and Specials (3 different books) and have Extras to read. Really good and I would recommend them. Rhaynnon is reading them. She just finished The Host so we can go see it in March. (I can't wait!)
As for that I'm not sure what is up next.