Tuesday, September 3, 2013

book butterfly reviews -- july ? august?

I think?  I must have missed one in there.

I only read two books in July, one published by my high school best friend (plug! plug!) and the other this vampire book.  I was getting a little sick of vampires, but this one had a bit of a spin on the whole un-dead theme.

Here's what I read in July:

Late for the Ball?

"Late for the Ball?" by Heather Gray

4 of 5 stars false

(Isn't that cover gorgeous?!)

Totally cute little tale from my totally cute friend. Read it in one short sitting and dip into a tale from another time. :)

Incidentally, visit Heather's author page here.

 

Infinite Days (Vampire Queen, #1)

"Infinite Days" by Rebecca Maizel

4 of 5 stars false

I got burnt out on vampire stories quite some time ago, but I really enjoyed the story of Lena and her transformation from human to vampire, back to human then back to vampire again. It sounds convoluted, but it's very good.

Her human transformation was fun and enlightening, and I enjoyed watching her fall in love truly, for the first time. I hope to continue reading this series.

Then, in August, all life went completely insane as we moved and started school again and I found that as soon as I sit/lay down with a book, I fall asleep.  Thus enters the period of my life in which 90% of my books are on audio.  I love these suckers.  I wish every book had an audio version.  It's so convenient.  Yes, it took me a while to get used to them, but now, I always have one or two on my phone and can listen in the car, doing chores around my house, or with my headphones on when I am trying to ignore my children.

Success.

Here's what I read in August:

11720964

"The Bungalow" by Sarah Jio

4 of 5 stars false

OK yes, I did read this one (mostly in my bathtub) but that's because it's Sarah Jio so I knew it would be worth it.

Le sigh!

Another fantastic story by Sarah Jio, this one set on the island of Bora Bora during WWII. Anne is an engaged nurse who decides on a whim to join the service just weeks before her wedding. Of course she meets a dashing man, has a whirlwind romance, and becomes part of a murder mystery on the island.

Sarah has such a glorious way of painting a picture with her words. Her characters all have so much depth and her stories are all so original. I love the little elements of mystery she includes in each of her novels. I have to say one thing about Ms. Jio's works, there is always a lot of pining going on. Unrequited love, et al. This one actually reminds me a bit of "An Affair to Remember" if you recall that old flick.

 

Chasing Fireflies

"Chasing Fireflies" by Charles Martin

4 of 5 stars false

This is another fantastic book by Charles Martin, who is now, I think, my very favorite author of all time. His descriptive power is beautiful. The symbolism, the imagery, the emotion... He is so talented.

This is a fantastic story, one that every father should read. Chase grows up as an orphan, fostered by a family who had previously lost everything. He is now a writer for a newspaper column, and is researching the story of a similar boy, found abandoned and alone, and unable to speak. There is a mystery surrounding all of their pasts, the makings of a small love story, and a whole lot of tearing at heartstrings. Highly recommended.

 

The Fire (Witch & Wizard, #3)

"Witch & Wizard:  The Fire" by James Patterson

images

Third book in the series, and halfway through, I still just didn't really care.  Gave up.

 

 

The Peach Keeper

"The Peach Keeper" by Sarah Addison Allen

4 of 5 stars false

An old mystery, some old grudges, and thirty-something year old friends return to town--four individuals come together centered on the restoration of a historic property and it's grand reopening.

Willa is the reformed trouble maker who "settled" into a some-what life of Blah. Paxton is the Prom Queen who is still living under her parents' thumb. Collin is her brother who can't sleep, can't stay in town, and only has eyes for Willa. And Sebastian is the mystery whom everyone labeled very early on as Different. The girls' grandmothers have their own secrets about the property, hidden since the 30s.

The love stories are the best part. :) Couple parts are PG-13. Loved the mystical/magical qualities, loved the old story thrown in with the modern, loved the depth of the characters--want them to be my friends!

So, there you have it.

I think if I could go through life reading only novels by Charles Martin and Sarah Jio I would need nothing else.  The two are amazing. I also think each of their books would make fantastic movies.

What are you reading?

No comments: