Saturday, December 23, 2006

the old testament

I am pleased and proud to announce that I have finished reading the Old Testament all the way through for the first time in my life! How sad is that, that I'm 31 years old and this the first time I've been able to do it? Oh, I've studied it before, several times in Seminary, Institute, and of course Gospel Doctrine, but you don't literally read page for page that way...this time I did. I will admit, it was a struggle, and there were some books that I hated and had to force myself to get through. (I mean let's face it, pretty much the entire 48 chapters of Ezekiel can be summed up in "Hey, Jerusalem! Repent, or you're going to be destroyed!") But I did it and I'm pleased and I do felt that I learned something through this experience. I'm looking forward to next year's reading--I'm not sure what we're studying next year, but the hard one is down, so whether it's New Testament, Book of Mormon, or Doctrine & Covenants, it'll be easier than this year!

I feel so much better about myself, my family, my testimony, and life in general when I read every day. It just gives me that extra little oomph I need to set the tone for the day and help me feel that I've accomplished something. There's so much to be learned in these books, so much history and so many examples...when you read every day, it gets exciting, like a good novel you can't put down.

Speaking of, I read a short quick read this week that I recommend: Where Eagles Rest by Hyrum Smith. He was a mission president in the 80s and tells some absolutely fascinating stories about missionary work and faith promoting examples. His section on why we were born when we are is just awesome. I found myself laughing out loud and tearing up in the same chapters. It's a quick read, about 100 pages, check it out.

No comments: