Friday, August 29, 2008

gittin' an edukashun *edited*

Yesterday I did something I've been talking about doing for well over a year.

I registered for a college class.

I last attended college in December of 1997! It's funny--when I was going over my registration info, they gave me an address I had back in 1995. I felt silly, like the proverbial old housewife going back to school after bazillions of years just being a mom.

I'd been considering going back to school to pursue a nursing degree for some time, but fear of the unknown, of not being able to do it, scheduling, financial matters--everything, really, kept me from doing it.

But, Dan started his online Psychology class this week and with that came a little bit of yearning for me to do the same. (He's likely pursuing a nursing degree as well, but he has a bit more to go. For right now, he's just doing his AA) I already have my AA, but I need a few science credits before I can apply for the program, namely Human Anatomy and Physiology. I've heard this is a really tough one (both from my hubby and others who have taken it), but I've found that since my kids went back to school, I really do have a lot of free time on my hands. I have hours a day that I'm wasting (?) on just reading, surfing the net, scrapbooking, or whatever. That time could really be put to good use, so I figured I either need to take on several more daycare kids or go the opposite way and go back to school. All my free time combined with my love of all things computer-related pushed me to decide on taking an online class.

I'm totally nervous about it! Depending on if they'll count my high school Chemistry and Biology Credits, I may be ready to turn in my nursing school application as of January! Of course, that means I'm then on the waiting list for around two years, but in the meantime, I can take MicroBiology and A&PII. I figure, Ethan's 4. He'll be in kindergarten next year and I'll have even more time for all of this, or for actual in-the-classroom classes if I need to.

Anyway, it's very exciting for me, and who knows if and when things will pan out, but as of now, Dan and I are both college students, at near-33 years of age!

Wish us luck. =)

***I'll be taking Biology this semester and A&P next semester. No one suggests taking them both at the same time...right? 'Specially since they're online classes?

9 comments:

AZ HS Spotlight said...

I've done Biology online with Rio when I was considering a Nursing career. Good for you! I keep trying to go back, registering and then having to cancel because I can't come up with the funds.

jinxi~ aka angi said...

Wow, congrats! You can do it!

leaner said...

I took A& P online... it was the hardest class I have ever EVER taken. Good luck, and I am sure you will do fine.

john and steph said...

Good Luck, I am sure you will do great. When I was in nursing school there were many people at different ages, with kids and without, and many people that wanted a second career. You will fit in great going back to school.
Have fun!!

Delfina said...

You go girl! Good luck with your class. You'll make it and do just fine. You took the first step already and thats the hardest.

Lorie said...

Good for you! Good luck with your Biology class!

Margee' said...

You go girl!
I always wanted to go back to college, that never happened.

Liz said...

You'll do just fine... It's hard to do this I need to take this plunge. good luck

Susie Jensen said...

Hey girl, good luck! You'll do great. You can do it all and have it all, remember?!? =) You're awesome.