Saturday, May 9, 2009

things i never knew about motherhood

I've been a mom for almost ten years now and with those ten years have comes highs and lows that I never could have imagined.

I never knew, for example, how proud I would be of a little one learning his phone number for the first time (set to the tune of "Shot Through the Heart (You Give Love A Bad Name)" by Bon Jovi).

I never knew how completely frustrating it could be to walk into a freshly mopped kitchen only to find koolaid spilled and spotted from here to Timbuktu.

I knew I would love, but never knew how much.

I never knew about that 'pucker' feeling (you know what I'm talking about) I'd feel when watching my kiddos go through pain, pull out a splinter, need stitches, get fingers caught in automatic windows or doors, and so on.

I never knew before I had kids that I hate repeating myself. I mean I really hate it.

I never knew that misspelled love notes would end up being so hard to part with, even though I have tons of them saved and scrapbooked.

I knew it would be hard to watch them make bad choices, but didn't realize how badly I'd want to to walk in and save the day and save them from hurt.

I never knew it would hurt so badly to part with my newborn clothing.

I never knew that kids would ever ever crave 'porridge' as a mid-afternoon snack. Go figure...I have two porridge eaters in my house.

I never knew that playdough was so messy, and that I would hate it so much, and eventually and quite literally ban it from my house.

I never knew they'd grow up so fast.

I never thought I'd forget to be the Tooth Fairy. Fortunately, the kiddo losing teeth is wise to the whole ploy and just gives me his still-toothed-baggie in the morning so I can hand over a dollar.

I never knew how much I'd appreciate my own mother until I became one, and had kids just like me.

I still do not know so much...these kids teach me every day how important it is for me to be a mom. Their Mom. And I love them for it.

(Happy Mothers' Day (and happy anniversary) to my mom, mother-in-law, and step-mother-in-law! I love you all!)

12 comments:

Michelle said...

Hi there,
I just happened upon your blog because I noticed the title. I also have 3 sons, and am the only gal at the homestead... always fun to read about other moms in the same boat :-)

Beautiful post, and Happy Mother's Day!
--Michelle

OneHappyfamily said...

Amie have a great day tommorrow.

jinxi~ aka angi said...

"wipes away tears".. so true my friend .. so true!

Happy Mommas Day.. you rock that department!

Christine said...

Totally teared up at the newborn clothing part......

You're an amazing mom - proud that Caden calls you his #2.

leaner said...

I hate playdough, too. Its banned from my house. I loathe people who give it for birthday presents. That is wrong.

This was a beautiful post. I teared up a little at it, too.

Dahlene said...

aaaaawwww! Happy Mother's Day Amie. I can just say "Amen" to this one.

Lorie said...

I hope you had a great Day!

Margee' said...

Amie, I hope you had a great day! With 36 Mother's Days in my life, there's no way I can write down all of the things being a Mother has been for me.Good things and bad, raising 3 girls and missing our 4th.
It was hard for me to give up newborn clothes too, but when Rachelle passed away, my Mom gave them to my cousin for her adopted son.
Being a Mom has it's ups and downs, but you're still always a Mom. :)

Casey Lu said...

I hope you had a great Mother's Day! So true on it all!

Kendra said...

Amie, thanks for these beautiful sentiments. All of it is so true. Happy belated Mother's Day!

Jennifer ♥ said...

I hope I get to experience all these wonderful things someday too.

Happy Belated Mother's Day!

Lara Neves said...

You just can't know until you're a mother. Beautiful post...thanks for sharing it!