Thursday, September 10, 2009

adventures in camping: part two--Saturday

The night was awesome, the morning was very comfortable, and so we ate some super yummy breakfast burritos-my favorite camping breakfast!  The only bad thing is, they take forever to clean up after!  After about an hour of scrubbing my pots and pans (ugh!), we played some games.

 DSCF2043 DSCF2044 DSCF2049DSCF2052 DSCF2051

We called our friends who were on their way to joining us to let them know where we were.  Then. . . things got interesting!

It started to cool down.

It got windy.

It got stormy.

And then it rained.




And we were miserable!  It was cold and wet, our feet were all muddy, and the kids were bored of staying under our canopy.  So we took off their shoes and banished them to the tent for some Gameboy time.  Eventually most of us fell asleep in there as we listened to the rain, found leaks in our tent, and tried to figure out if this was nature's way of telling us to go home.

So after the four hours, the skies finally started to clear.  We wondered if we should warn our friends about all the rain and perhaps tell them not to come?  On my way out of town (in order to get some cell phone reception) I passed them, so I just turned around and followed them back to camp.

From there on, the weather was perfect the rest of the weekend!  I am so glad we did not pack up and go home!  However, the sides and bottom of our tent were soaked, meaning the edges of all of our mattresses were wet along with sleeping bags, pillows, and our bags of clothes.

We helped our friends set up and made some dinner.

 DSCF2062 DSCF2063 DSCF2066 DSCF2068 DSCF2069 DSCF2073   DSCF2080  DSCF2101DSCF2090 DSCF2091DSCF2088  DSCF2093  DSCF2096

At this point I'd like to point out a "leave it to Danny" moment.  In preparing for our friends to join us at camp, he tried to clear out the dirt road entrance to our spot.  He was shoveling and hauling large rocks, moving them, splitting them, whatever.  At one point, he dropped one rock on another to break it up; it ricocheted off his shin, and very nearly broke his leg.  When he showed it to me an hour later, it had swollen up to the size of a baseball-this picture really doesn't do it justice AT ALL.  He was fairly certain he hadn't broken it, just really severely bruised it.  But man, was he lucky.


Again, the angle in which I'm taking the picture doesn't show the swelling.  I've never seen the side of a leg/bone swell up so big before.  The Dork.

Yesterday, I actually asked him to go to Urgent Care to have it checked out, just in case.  The doctor promises it was not broken-she didn't even take an x-ray.


The night ended without further rain or further incident.  We ate pulled pork sandwiches and James cooked popcorn for us as a snack.


Christine #2 said...

Woo-hoo! Still love the one with James bundled up LOL

Liz said...

Great fun lvoe the stories and Great pics...

jinxi~ aka angi said...

I LOVE CAMPING.. and Im so glad ya'll made it through the storms..
I can say glad you made it unscathed tho.. OUCH to Dannys leg.. wow he was luckyyy!

wittygal said...

The bad with the good, right? Way to stick it out. To bad they don't have Survivor's family style you guys would totally "almost" make it.