Monday, April 4, 2011

book butterfly reviews -- march

Thanks to Spring Break and our trip up north, I actually did some good reading this month. Reading has replaced just about every other past time or hobby this past year, eclipsing out playing the piano, scrapbooking, and television--which I watch very little of anyway. Of course there are times when I have to make a decision of what to read: my escapist fiction, my school texts, or as I mentioned previously, my scriptures as I tried and succeeded at reading the entire Book of Mormon in four weeks. So much to read, so little time. :)

Here's what I read in March.

The Christmas Box

"The Christmas Box" by Richard Paul Evans

it was okit was okit was okit was ok

I read this in one sitting after some mind-numbing 10 chapters of nursing books got to be too much. This was a much-needed relief.

I know it's far from Christmas, but it was on a Book Club list (for January I think? I'm a bit behind), and I'm glad I got the chance to read it. Sweet and simple, a gentle reminder to love your children and family today, don't put that off. Hug 'em and squeeze 'em and show them you love 'em. That pretty much sums it up. :)

"The Prophecies of Joseph Smith: Over 400 Prophecies By and About Joseph Smith, and Their Fulfillment" by Duane S. Crowther

liked it (my current rating)liked it (my current rating)liked it (my current rating)

I've been reading this sporadically over the past 6 months; fortunately it is the kind of book that does not necessarily have a plot, just a time line, so it wasn't imperative that I read it all in one sitting. It was very interesting to see all of the prophecies of Mormon Prophet Joseph Smith arranged this way, with the fruition of each prophecy close behind. The man was awesome, and this book only solidifies my desire to meet him in person some day and give him a big ol' hug. :)

Having said that, the book IS a bit dry and can get tedious with all the maps and footnotes, etc. So I give it a 3 just because it wasn't the type of book to grab and hold onto my interest. But I'm glad I read it.

The Gift: Witch and Wizard Series, Book 2

"The Gift: Witch and Wizard Series (Book Two)" by James Patterson

liked it (my current rating)liked it (my current rating)liked it (my current rating)

This ended up very reminiscent of a combo of Hunger Games and X-Men. I did like this YA story, but sometimes it seems a little TOO YA. I listened to this on CD (like the first) and really like the different voices for the narrations...makes it much easier to follow since each chapter is often a different character.

I don't know that a third has been written yet, but there must be a plan for one, because there is no resolution at the end of this second book...

Three To Get Deadly (Stephanie Plum, #3)

"Three to Get Deadly (Stephanie Plum #3)" by Janet Evanovich

liked it (my current rating)liked it (my current rating)liked it (my current rating)

We giggled a lot while reading this one out loud, and liked it much better than the second. I think it helped that we read it aloud in basically one weekend's sitting while driving on vacation, so it was easier to follow. You should hear my Jersey accent.

When Crickets Cry

"When Crickets Cry" by Charles Martin

liked it (my current rating)liked it (my current rating)liked it (my current rating)liked it (my current rating)liked it (my current rating)

There's really only so much I can say about it without giving it all away, but it's basically about a heart surgeon who goes into hiding and about his chance meeting with a 7 year old who needs a new heart.

The first half of the book alternates between past and present--it took me a few chapters to figure that out, and to get accustomed to the time and place in each setting. But once I did understand that, the book became like a puzzle, and pieces slowly fit into place.

There is a lot of medical talk, as you would imagine, but the author describes things so well and so clearly, that I think anyone can easily follow along. I think it was slightly more interesting to me being in the 'medical field' and already being familiar with the anatomy and physiology the author talks about.

There are several very intense chapters that just knocked my socks off. I highly recommend this one! I finally found a 5 star book! It had been almost a year since I'd read anything near as good, and it felt good to love a story so much. I'm reading (among others) another book by the same author; I have high hopes. :)

The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ (Official Edition)

"The Book of Mormon"

liked it (my current rating)liked it (my current rating)liked it (my current rating)liked it (my current rating)liked it (my current rating)

See last week's blog for my review of this one. :)

What have you been reading?

1 comment:

Jenna said...

I always love to see what you're reading!