Wednesday, January 2, 2013

book butterfly reviews - december

Phooey.

Rapture (Fallen, #4)

"Rapture (Fallen #4)" by Lauren Kate

2 of 5 stars false

So this is the 4th (4th and a half, really, if you count the 3.5 there in the middle) book in a series about star-crossed lovers Daniel the angel and Luce the mortal. It took me about 4 years to read this, it feels like, so I can't give it any higher than a 2. The overall story and premise is lovely, but the books are just too too much. They're long and full of unimportant details and conversations. The series really should have been done in 3, and I even hesitate to give it that much. I felt myself begging the author to just gettothepointalready!

This last and final book, I literally did not even care about. It took me so many times of starting and stopping to finally push myself through it. But how can I give up on a series that, up to this point, I've put something like 1500 pages into? I'm vested, yes? (invested?)

If I could go back in time and tell myself not even to start the first one, I would.

 

The Mansion

"The Mansion" by Hengry Van Dyke

4 of 5 stars false

After hearing that President Monson reads this book yearly at Christmas time, we decided to give it a try. Now that I have read it, I realize I've read it before. It's a simple book, simple story line--and we read the abridged version that was hardback with lots of beautiful pictures--so we read it in just one evening.

It's a sweet story about an Ebeneezer Scrooge-esque character who gives to charity and is generous, but only if his name is attached, thus he does his good works for all the wrong reasons. He has a dream in which he dies and goes to heaven all set to inherit his mansion, and that is where he learns a profound lesson.

 

Storm Glass (Glass, #1)

"Storm Glass (Glass #1)" by Maria V. Snyder

0 of 5 stars false

Well, I feel badly about this, but I just could not get through this book. Several months ago I got about 100 pages in before it was due back to the library, and just this month I checked it out again, got about 30 pages further before I decided I just. didn't. care.

Too bad, because this author also writes one of my very favorites, Poison Study. This even has some similar characters. *shrug* Just not for me I guess.

 

Not a whole lotta greatness going on there.  I'm still boring and using my free time for studying (ok, yes, and to my new iphone which quite frankly I feel is the most fantastic thing on the face of the earth--I may exaggerate there slightly) but after my state boards hopefully I will allow myself more free reading time!

According to Goodreads, I read 36 books last year, but that doesn't count those I re-read (ex. 2-3 Harry Potters that Dan and I got through) or scripture or other non-Goodreads-applicable books.  It was about half of what I read the year before.  :(  So many on my To Read list!

What are you reading?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just finished the new book by JK Rowling, it was TERRIBLE. Not terrible compared to Harry Potter, just plain terrible. Also read the Christmas Sweater by Glenn Beck, it was great. Waiting for the final book in the Wheel of Time series, due out this month.

B