Monday, February 3, 2014

book butterfly reviews -- january

I didn't read one book in December. . . not one book!  I also didn't do Christmas cards for the first time in EVER and Christmas came and went in a blink.  Since then I've reserved a ton of books at the library and gotten back on my Audio Book kick.  Just about every book I read was one of a series, which is. . . tiring.  They're never all out or available when I want them, I tend to forget from one to one, and honestly, it's just nice to finish a book and have it end and be done with it.  Some I will continue on with, others, I'm good to be done where I'm at.  Got through several last month and gave up on one surprising one.

Here's what I read in January:

"The Rise of Nine (Book 3 I Am Number Four Series)" By Pittacus Lore.

images

A quarter through this book and I still don't care about it... Which is too bad because I really liked the first one; second one was just ok. Giving up for now. Maybe if they make a movie out of this one I will find more interest in it.

 

 

 

Notorious Nineteen (Stephanie Plum, #19)

"Notorious Nineteen (Stephanie Plum Book #19)" by Janet Evanovich

3 of 5 stars false

Another Stephanie plum book with more of the same.... But it had been a good six months since we'd read one, so I guess I didn't mind so much.

 

 

 

 

Seven Minutes in Heaven (The Lying Game, #6)

"Seven Minutes in Heaven (A Lying Game Book #6)" by Sara Shepard

4 of 5 stars false

This is the 6th and final book in the series of my Guilty Pleasures Fluff Reading. :D I really liked it--there were many twists and turns and just when you think you know where the plot is going, it turns on its side again. I am happy that the story was resolved as 6 is a long series.


*SPOILERS BELOW*

Don't read any further if you don't want to know who dunnit!

Seriously, don't do it! It'll ruin the rest of the series for you!

And in all seriousness, now that I know who did it, I kind of want to go back and start the series over from my new perspective. Interesting...I've never really felt that way about a series.

OK SO I started thinking around book 3 about who the killer could possibly be and I really really really didn't want it to be him. Looking back, I guess I was just naive, but I really was sadly surprised (kind of) and disappointed when it turned out Ethan was the killer. He of course was her boyfriend as of Book 1? 2? And the only person she trusted. He was the one she went to with everything. He was the only one who knew she was Emma and not Sutton. He was the one with the super duper hacking powers and telescope. It really should have been more obvious (and really, I did consider it, I just pushed it away as the author wanted me to, so...well done, Sara Shepard! You got me!) I felt so bad for Emma when it turned out her boyfriend was the murderer. I wish it could have been someone else. Thusly, the writing was excellent and the surprise a good one. :)

 

Sisters Red (Fairytale Retellings, #1)

"Sisters Red (FairyTale Retellings #1)" by Jackson Pearce

4 of 5 stars false

This was an interesting take on the Little Red Riding Hood fairy tale; I thought at first it was a trilogy, but this story ended nicely, and in looking at the next, I realize it is about completely separate characters. I do think I will continue on. This story had to do with werewolves and slaying, with a touch of romance thrown in. Exciting reading, especially the last few chapters.

 

Variant (Variant, #1)

"Variant (Variant #1)" by Robison Wells

3 of 5 stars false

This is a little bit Maze Runner, little bit Stepford Wives. Benson is an orphan who goes to a private school on a scholarship. But what he finds there is not all peaches and cream. People disappear, strange rules are enforced, and eventually kids start to die.
This is the first in a series, and although I like it, I didn't like it enough to continue on. Frankly, I'm getting tired of series.

 

Before I Fall

"Before I Fall" by Lauren Oliver

4 of 5 stars false

This book is a mix between Mean Girls and Groundhog Day, but make no mistake, this is not a lighthearted funny book. It is actually very serious with some very dark and mature themes. There is sex, drugs, violence, bad language, and suicide.

The main character dies in a car crash at the end of the day one, which she then proceeds to live over and over. The plot is a little predictable, as she tries different things each day to get herself out of the loop and save her life. The character does grow and develop and become a better person, and some other interesting things happen along the way, including romance. But again, not a light-hearted funny book.

Sarah Drew narrated this, (an actress from Grey's Anatomy,) and she does an absolutely fantastic job. Probably the best audiobook I have ever listened to.

 

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce, #1)

"The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce #1)" by Alan Bradley

3 of 5 stars false

This was a clever little story about Flavia deLuc, an 11-year old chemistry prodigy who uses her powers of deduction and science to solve a murder and clear her fathers name. It was interesting and enjoyable enough, but I always find books like this, in which the child is so completely brilliant, unbelievable and unrealistic.

I didn't realize until just now that this is also a series, one of six!  I didn't love the writing or the characters enough to continue on in the story, and this one was nicely wrapped up, so I will not continue.

 

So that's pretty good for one month, six.  I have a pile of actual books next to my bed, so my next post will likely be a lot smaller!  (Audio books are so easy to get through) 

What are you reading?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

pretty nice blog, following :)