Thursday, June 29, 2006

my exercise regime

When you call it a 'regime', it sounds more official and professional than 'what I'm trying to do in the way of getting my lazy butt off my computer chair in terms of exercise'. =)

I'm writing because I'm happy about it and excited about it and just wanted to share what is working for me. For a long time, aerobics has been offered at one of our church buildings, not necessarily a church-sponsored event, but we've been using the building more as convenience. I've always wanted to go, but used the daycare kids as an excuse not to. Yes, I know, that was a nice try. Anyway, now I have some friends who are attending three times a week and they invited me to go, and I've been trying it. I really enjoy step aerobics and haven't missed a class yet. It's free and fun and I see my friends there, so why not? I'm working trouble spots and getting my heart rate up and am having a great time. Sometimes it's a pain bringing the kids--yesterday I had two of my own and three of my babysitting kiddos, so that was a bit of a mess, but that won't happen again.

Because....today is my last day for the two children who have been driving me nuts for the past month, hooray!!

Okay, I digress, back to my ... regime. =)

So three times a week I'm doing step aerobics and whenever Danny's schedule allows for it, I also get up at 5am to either go lap swimming on MWF at one of the community pools around here (free, as long as someone lives in the community and brings a key) or power-walking for 3.2 miles on TH. I am having a great time doing this! I'd much rather exercise at the beginning of the day, thus giving me energy for the rest of the day. I'm gone when my entire house is sleeping, so no one misses me, and I get to start my day off with a bang. Sometimes Danny has to be gone by 6, and of course on those days, I can't participate, but that's only 2 days a week or so on his current course.

He's been doing his clinical rotation at the hospitals on his off-days, so he's getting tons of hours--this week I think he'll end up with almost 80! Oh, and he just got a raise because he's out of training so that's a definite 'yay'! He enjoys what he's doing right now (working as a trauma nurse/tech) and is really good at it. Too bad the techs at the hospital don't get paid too much or he could just forget the ambulance company. It's also SOOOO nice that he's at the hospital right up the street. I think I timed it at 8 minutes once when Ethan was in the NICU--8 minutes from my driveway to the hospital parking lot.

Anyway, to make a long story longer, I'd been doing my routine (oh, excuse me, I meant regime) for about two weeks and although I felt great, I wasn't losing any weight. You know us women, we have to see that durn scale go down to feel there's been any real progress. Sure sure, my pants are looser, but I want to see that number go down, dangit! I'm a bit obsessed with my scale. It's seriously a love-hate relationship. However, I wasn't dieting, I was still eating whatever I wanted. Finally, Monday morning I decided I'd better add some good nutrition and food-sense to my plan and started following Weight Watchers again and wha-laa (I've never tried to spell that before, is that right??) I have lost 5 pounds already. Yippee skippee! So what does this prove? For myself personally, I have to diet to lose weight. Exercise will help me tone and get stronger and get rid of my flabby arms and muffin-top tummy, but if I want to actually become lighter gravitationally-speaking, I need to stop eating crappy food. An epiphony of sorts.

So yes, today is my last day for my horrendously annoying daycare kids. Boy, if their parents ever get wind of my myspace blogs, I am in deep trouble. You won't tell, will you?

I need to go back to working with the young ones I guess. I had several babies and toddlers at one time, and although they were hard, it was more hard physically instead of mentally. It was a lot of playing on the floor and bottle feeding and moving from here to there and in and out of the carseat and naps and diapers and such. But attitude-wise, they didn't make me want to rip my hair off my head. I'm so nice, aren't I? Doesn't this tell you I'm in the wrong business?

So I'm happy about my five pound loss--only five pounds more to go and I'm back to where I was at Easter time, and that is the lightest I've been since I was like 16. I weigh less than I did when I graduated from high school, less than when I got married and of course less than when I got PG with my children. Take that, Oprah!! AND I'm happy about having a bit of a daycare break. I'll still have my 18-month old, but she's generally a piece of cake.

Hope you're all having a great day!

No comments: