Sunday, July 7, 2013

book butterfly reviews -- june

Where the River Ends

"Where the River Ends" by Charles Martin

4 of 5 stars false

Another great two-stories-in-one book by one of my favorite authors, Charles Martin. This one is about Joss, a struggling painter, and his wife Abbie, who is dying of metastatic cancer. She makes a list of all the things she wants to experience before she dies. With love, he promises he will make sure she gets to do them all, even if it comes with tremendous cost.

Beautifully written and I always love the addition of medical history.

 

Lord of the Flies

"Lord of the Flies" by William Golding

3 of 5 stars false

I give this a solid 3.5 stars. I listened to it as read by the author--something I never liked when I first started listening to audio books (I mean, they are writers, not performers), but in this case I really liked his reading style and his intimate knowledge of this group of boys marooned on a deserted island.

I'd heard reference to this movie/book many times over the years but never read/watched. I decided to, just because it seemed like such a classic tale--I basically wanted to know what I was missing.

I did like it (I was prepared not to) and found the underlying story of the decay of society very interesting. I can understand why many book clubs are held and papers are written around this premise.

Worth a read. :)

My favorite line, and I giggled every single time it was said: "Sucks to your asthma!"

 

The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride, #1)

"The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride #1)" by James Patterson

3 of 5 stars false

Solid 3.5 stars. It's good, reminds me of Patterson's Witch & Wizard series and The Summoning Series. 14 year old Max and 5 other 'mutant' kids (think x-men) are on the run from the laboratory that created them. They are hunting for answers about their parents and past.

I listened to this on audiobook or it may not have held my interest. There are several others in this series... I'm not entirely sure I will keep reading. It's a bit juvenile, and even though it was good, I feel that this premise has been overdone.

 

Calling Invisible Women

"Calling Invisible Women" by Jeanne Ray

3 of 5 stars false

Clover wakes up one day and she is invisible, which is bad enough, but what makes it worse is, no one notices. Though its quickly revealed that her issues are pharmaceutical in nature, there is an substitute there all about taking it lived ones for granted and not truly seeing what is in front of our face.

It's not laugh-out-loud funny as the summary leads you to believe, but it's clever and cute and I like how empowered Clover ends up, being an advocate and crime fighter.

 

What are you reading?

No comments: